Thursday, June 14, 2012

Packing for the trip, materially as well as spiritually

+


The first thing anyone things of when traveling abroad for a long period of time is what should I pack and how will it all fit in my bag?!  This trip, however, warrants a very different kind of packing-not only clothes, books, medications, and all the material goods that I will need, but spiritual packing as well.  


I started reflecting on how I needed to prepare for this trip.  I bought a new camera, one that takes excellent shots and movies.  I asked for and received a Kindle so that I can download and bring all of the books that I need.  I have a friend whose son works in a sporting goods store that specializes in hiking and camping gear and she suggested that I visit her son for good, lightweight, comfortable clothes.  Thomas, who cuts my hair, suggested that we cut it pretty short about a week before I go. We will only be away for two weeks, but, better to be safe than sorry.  I started to feel comfortable with the plans for the material goods that I will need; however,  I knew that the more important packing I should be making is my spiritual preparation.


How to spiritually prepare for this trip? Prayer, prayer and more prayer. 


Those involved with the mission have been praying a novena to the Rosa Mystica on the 13th of each month, beginning January 13th and ending on September 13th.  


On the first Friday and Saturday of each month, starting in May, we have been and will continue to go to confession, mass, communion and pray a minimum of 5 decades of the rosary in reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary, thus fullfilling the first Five Saturday devotions.


Tomorrow, on the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, we will be consecrating our Mission to the Immaculate Heart of Mary after the noon mass concelebrated by Father Randy Stice and Father William Oruko.  Pictures will follow.


Everyday, to pray my Office, Rosary, Mass, and spend some time in front of the Blessed Sacrament with the intention that this mission be what Our Lord would like it to be, that we give fully of ourselves in whatever way we are being asked to give, and to give with a smile and in haste, with no hesitation.


And, most important, to read and reflect daily on scripture.  To sit and be with God; to let Him sit and be with me.


As all of us fast during the season of Lent in preparation for Easter and I have decided to fast for this mission.  That it will be all that God wants it to be.  I prayed about it and decided that I will not eat any snacks or desserts after dinner except on Sundays and Feast days.  This will be hard for me!  But it is probably also very good for me as well.  I will not fast from beverages-just from snacky/dessert foods.


Lastly, we have been informally getting together - a small group of us - those that are traveling to Africa and some that are friends that are in support of the trip.  The first time we met it was to watch a taped program from EWTN of a priest, Father Petrie, that was at the World Congress for the Enthronment of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  Father Mitch Pacwa interviewed him and it was wonderful interview!  I have a separate post written on Father Petrie and what he shared during the interview.  I will post at a later date.  We also met at my home this week to watch a documentary on Mother Theresa that was filmed by Father Petrie's sisters.  Both meetings were wonderful, prayerful times with good friends.  


I continually thank God for all that He is doing in my life and is asking me to do.  It turns out that what I thought would be a huge sacrifice for me is turning out to be a HUGE gift and blessing to me.  I am having fun.  And living in God's love - who could ask for anything more?


Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for us.  Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.  
Rosa Mystica, pray for us.




No comments:

Post a Comment