Sunday, July 29, 2012

Kindred Spirits


+


I love those in my life that I consider kindred spirits.  They are very, very special people to me.  They are those friends or family members that I am instantly comfortable with.  We have similar likes and dislikes; when we are separated for any length of time or distance and finally meet-up again, it is as though no time has passed between us.  There is some sort of invisible bond that is between us.  When I am with someone that I recognize as a kindred spirit, I  realize that I am experiencing something very special.

And for me, some of those that I consider the most special kindred spirits in my life are certain saints.  Our Blessed Mother is most certainly at the top of my list and then some others are:  St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Padre Pio, Bl. Mother Theresa, St.Faustina, St. Andre Bessette, St. Joseph, St. James, Blessed Pope John Paul II, St. Theresa of Avila, and St. Bernadette.  These saints are those that are "most present" to me and bring me closer to Jesus.  I love them and are drawn to them just as I am drawn to certain people.  They make a difference in my life - either through their writings or stories about them or their lives-but most of all through their prayers for me.

While we will be on our trip we will be celebrating some precious and special Feast days:

St. Matthew the Evangelist on Friday, Sept. 21st,

St. Padre Pio which is on Sunday September 23rd,

Archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, on September 29th

St. Therese of Lisieux (St. Therese of the Child Jesus) on October 1st.


My favorite book is Story of a Soul which is the autobiography of St. Therese.  And, it wasn't until after I read it that I remembered that she was my Confirmation Saint.  Her autobiography was a pivotal book for me in my spiritual life and I was very happy when I remembered that Therese was not only a friend but a Patron Saint for me as well. 

Lisa recently reminded me that St. Therese of Lisieux is considered a Co-Patron Saint of Missionaries. I find it comforting that we will be celebrating her Feast-Day on the day of our departure from Kenya.  For the past few years I have prayed a novena to St. Therese beginning 9 nine days before her Feast Day. And, I will, of course, pray a novena to her this year as well.  It will be very special keeping her close to us in prayer through the novena as we are traveling through Kenya while on pilgrimage.


St. Therese of Lisieux



I have recently had the graced opportunity to meet, speak, work and spend some time with some of the Sisters (Women Religious) here in Knoxville.  More specifically:  Dominican Sisters, Sisters of Mercy, and the Evangelizing Sisters of Mary.  

These groups of Religious radiate peace and love.  They are warm, friendly and engaging.  They are quiet and somewhat private but extremely approachable.  They are, in some respects, kindred spirits to all that they meet.  Don't get me wrong - they all have very distinct personalities, different charisms, different apostolates.  It is just that they radiate Jesus' love in such a way that it makes anyone who is with them feel loved --comfortable--and themselves.

I hope and pray that we will try to radiate Christ to all that we meet.  That we will be kindred spirits for those that desire or need that from us.  That we will be all that God desires us to be. 

Radiating Christ
Dear Jesus, help us to spread your fragrance everywhere we go.
Flood our souls with your spirit and life.
Penetrate and possess our whole being so utterly, that our lives may only be a radiance of yours.
Shine through us and be so in us, that every soul we come in contact with may feel Your presence in our soul.
Let them look up and see no longer us but only Jesus!
Stay with us and then we shall begin to shine as you shine; so to shine as to be a light to others; the light O Jesus, will be all from You, none of it will be ours; it will be You shining on those around us.
Let us preach You by our words and by our example, by the catching force, the  sympathetic influence of what we do, the evident fullness of the love our hearts bear to You.  Amen.


Sacred Heart of Jesus, full of infinite love, pray for us...
Rosa Mystica, pray for us...

No comments:

Post a Comment