Tuesday, June 4, 2013

It is in the "Little Things"...

+


"It is the little things that make me happy" seems to be the mantra of my heart and soul these days.


A few weeks ago my husband asked me if I had tried a pretzel bagel from a new bagel shop that had opened in town.  I love pretzels - always have since I was very young - and Ray knew that I would love this pretzel bagel.  

Soon after our conversation, I was passing the bagel shop and I decided to drive through and try one.  They were sold out.  Then I tried again on another day and they had just sold 13 of their last pretzel bagels to a person that drove through a few minutes before me.  I tried again on another day- and, much to my surprise (not) - no pretzel bagels left.  I decided to ask to speak to the manager about the lack of pretzel bagel situation.  He was a very pleasant guy and explained to me that I must be just hitting them at just the wrong time because they continually make fresh bagels every 3 hours so that they remain fresh and taste good.  He felt badly that I had been through a few times and had not been able to procure a pretzel bagel, so he bought me the salt bagel that I ordered in its' stead.  I felt badly about bothering the manager and then felt worse about him buying me that salt bagel to replace the pretzel bagel that they did not have.  I thanked him and took the bagel with embarrassment and thanksgiving.  It was such a small ridiculous desire.   Then I silently prayed a Hail Mary for him as I drove away.


Last Friday was the Feast of the Visitation.  It is one of my many favorite Feast days of the year and I decided to run over to St. John Neumann to pray in front of the Blessed Sacrament for an hour.  Before I got there, I thought that I would try that bagel shop again for a pretzel bagel.  Voila!  They had 5 pretzel bagels available!  I requested one - toasted and buttered along with a nice hot cup of tea and went on my way!  And it was delicious.  So, I turned my thoughts and heart to God and I thanked Him for the Feast day and the bagel.  I told Him that it was in the little things that made me happy.  Then I went over to the church and prayed my holy hour content, peaceful, happy and full.

The next day, Saturday, my daughter, Kristin,  and I were running around doing errands together.  We decided to drive through Starbucks for a little pick-me-up half way through the running around.  As I was driving into the parking lot, I was given in prayer that I was not to get my favorite drink from there - a chai latte with soy milk.  I was really looking forward to that chai.  But I was obedient to the inspiration and ordered a decaf latte to keep it simple.  After I took a sip of the latte, I discovered that it was delicious and it really wasn't much of a sacrifice and I told that to God in silent prayer.  I was somewhat apologetic as I was very much enjoying that decaf latte.  And, immediately, I got back in prayer:  "It is in the little things that make me happy".   God has a wonderful sense of humor!

Yesterday I was watering my plants on my front porch.  I have an herb garden on the side of my house but I decided to put a few in a pot and I love they way that it looks:


While I was watering it, something very teeny-tiny caught my eye...



It was a very tiny baby Praying Mantis sitting on a branch of the thyme!  I usually do not love bugs - they creep me out.  But a Praying Mantis is very different - they are amazing, remarkable, interesting creatures.  I loved seeing this remarkable creature - it was so, so small - barely the size of my pinky nail.  I could not help but think about how precious, how important something can be when it is small - a smile given to someone that needs it, a Hail Mary for someone's intentions, the sacrifice of a chai latte and even a very small, very tiny, baby Praying Mantis. Oh, and a pretzel bagel of course!



No comments:

Post a Comment