Sunday, September 2, 2012

Living the Day-to-Day with Jesus


+

Everyone has their own way of living their day-to-day with Jesus.  Even if they do not know Jesus, even if they don't talk to Him or even think about Him, they are still living that day-to-day with Jesus.  Our personal relationship with Jesus is just that - personal - and I strongly feel that it is none of my business how that is for anyone else other than for me.

We enthroned our home to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in late April eight years ago.  My mom, Eleanor, aka El, who lives in New York, was present for our family's Enthronement Ceremony as she was visiting us because it was the same weekend that our son, Ray, was receiving his First Holy Communion.  An essential part of enthroning your family and home to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is to have an image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus that is placed or hanging in a prominent place in your home.  Our image is displayed on a small table in our kitchen which is truly the heart of our home.  As soon as you walk in the kitchen, it is the first thing that you see.





I have been thinking about our Enthronement to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and how it has truly impacted our family each and every day.  Most of the time, I know that it is in subtle, invisible ways.  We love being together and spending time with each other.  We laugh and talk and enjoy each others company.  Jesus is quietly ever-present in that family time.  

And, it can also be seen in an outward way with regard to praying with my kids.  I think that it was during our preparation for our Enthronement that I started praying the Consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus prayer with my two children in the car as I was taking them to school.  We continued to pray that prayer every morning together for the next 5-6 years and still do when we are occasionally in the car together in the morning.  When Kristin was old enough to drive, she and Ray would drive to the high school together and they prayed the prayer in the car together without me being there!  Ray, who is now 16, and soon to be 17 (September 5th), drives to school in his jeep.  He and I are running out of the house around the same time (he to school and I to mass) and when he runs in to say good bye to me in the morning I say to him:  "Have a great day!  Listen, learn and work hard!  Pray the prayer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the car! And I LOVE YOU!"  And he always says: "OK Mom..."  And he does pray!  I know that because I receive confirmation of it when we are together in the car on an occasional weekend morning. When I ask him to pray with me, he prays the consecration prayer beautifully, completely and with familiarity.  And I am reassured that God has blessed me with these two amazing, wonderful, prayerful kids!  That are growing up way too fast! And that the Enthronement has been a grace and blessing for each of us separately and together as a family.

On the Saturday after we return from Africa, on October 6th, I will be making my first private, annual vows (promises) as a Lay Missionary of Charity.  This is a description of what a Lay Missionary of Charity is (This is copied from the LMC website.  The link is provided below):

THE SPIRIT of the Lay Missionaries of Charity is one of total abandonment to God's holy will, child-like trust in His Fatherly care and readiness for service in profound humility after the example of Jesus, Mary and Joseph.  THE AIM of the Lay Missionaries of Charity is to quench the infinite thirst of Jesus on the Cross for the love of souls, by means of the annual profession of the four private vows according to the Statutes. THE SPECIAL MISSION of the LMCs is to work for the salvation and the sanctification of the members of their own families and of the poorest of the poor of the whole world: 

-with their constant effort to transform their own families into true sanctuaries of love by means of family prayer, dialogue, sharing and service;
-doing ordinary little things with extraordinary love, for the greater glory of God;
-living a life of prayer, penance and service, marked by simplicity, humility, and the practice of the Gospel teachings; loving and adoring Jesus under the species of Bread and Wine;
-with their consecrated presence in the heart of the world;
-loving and serving Jesus hidden under the distressing disguise of the poorest of the poor;
-giving material help according to their own means and spiritual comfort to all those who are in need;
-sharing, as far as possible, the work and the life of the Missionaries of Charity;
-accepting with JOY their own sufferings and offering them to the Lord in total surrender, loving trust and cheerfulness.

I know that in my life that God has abundantly blessed me in this apostolate (work) and charism.  It was not by my choice - it was God's choice.  He invited me and I said yes.  It is not always easy - sometimes I am asked to stretch myself more than I am willing to give - I often see my inadequacies; my weaknesses and I can not begin to express how difficult and humiliating that can be- but it is also a life that is extremely fulfilling and very joy-filled.  It is one of much Love - Love given and Love received.  A beautiful gift.

Enthroning our family to the Sacred Heart of Jesus goes hand-in-hand with my apostolate as a Lay Missionary of Charity.  The two are interwoven in a very special and purposeful manner - both are meant to build up the family in a life lived in, with, and centered around Jesus.  Sometimes I am amazed and somewhat surprised as how God works in my life.  I see it as a puzzle where each piece is necessary and put together in a certain way.  

If you would like to read more about the LMC's, you may find them here:  http://www.laymc.com



Welcome the presence of the Heart of Christ, entrusting your home to Him. Before the open heart of Jesus, seek to draw from him the true love that our families need to build up a civilization of love." John Paul the Great










No comments:

Post a Comment